Monday, October 22, 2007

Brush Fire in Irvine

We got home last night from our Big Sur trip shortly before this fire broke out. I resisted the urge to go out and shoot that night because I was beat but decided to get up early to see what I could see. Since my previous brush fire pictures are some of my best sellers in iStock I thought it would be worth it.

It's been my experience that it is much easier to find a place to park and just walk to a good location rather than dealing with the traffic and road closures. I initially parked in the shopping center at the corner of Sand Canyon & Irvine Blvd. I was walking across the street in front of a barricade when the officer manning it asked if I was there to take pictures. Considering I had my tripod with 400mm lens slung over my shoulder I thought it a silly question. I told her I was and she said if I wanted to go get my car she would let me through the barricade to get closer. What luck! I unknowingly fooled her into thinking I was some sort of professional.

Once inside the protected area I drove for about a half mile before foolishly consulting another of Irvine's finest on where I could go. He asked to see my credentials (doh!) and when I couldn't come up with any made me turn around, which I did with my tail between my legs. Next time I am in such a situation it is key to pretend like I actually know what I'm doing there.

I retreated back down Irvine Blvd and grabbed some sunrise shots through the smoke. They opened Irvine back up a few minutes later so I went through and turned down Modjeska Cyn. right into the heart of Portola Springs. This entrance was blocked off about 10 minutes later so I got lucky and was able to get up close & personal with some fire and got a face full of smoke & ash.

Sunrise through the smoke on the corner of Irvine Blvd. & Jeffrey.

Helicopter on smokey background.

Big line approaching homes.

More Santiago Fire Pictures

No comments:

iStockPhoto Collections

Travel Stock Photos Concept Stock Business Photos Nature Photos People stock Food Photography Abstract Smoke Photos